From the very beginning Eugene had a vision to open a traditional Greek Souvlaki Snack Bar in Victoria. However, having arrived in Victoria with only 2 suitcases and a trunk, Eugene began working as a brick-layer, his trade in Greece, in order to support his young family.
To supplement the family's income, Eugene began working in local Greek restaurants by night and took what construction jobs he could during the day. He quickly became head chef of a local Greek Restaurant and soon Lina—an excellent cook herself—joined him. They worked side-by-side until Eugene got a great job offer in Edmonton and for a year he worked there, returning to see the family only once a month.
Eventually, the whole family decided Victoria was the place for them. Lina, encouraging Eugene to open a souvlaki snack bar, found their first location in the alleyway of the Royal Bank Building on Douglas and Fort Street. They opened their doors November 24th, 1979. Victorians slowly came to know how wonderful Greek souvlaki could be and with lines getting longer and longer a second Eugene's opened in May 1986 at 1280 Broad Street.
Today, Lee runs the operations and Eugene and Lina oversee from the background while enjoying their retirement, and customers of Victoria continue to enjoy the same wonderful home-made recipes that Eugene and Lina first served in 1979.